Monday, January 13, 2014

Peanut Butter Banana Stuffed French Toast

 
When I first met my hubby, I remember he used to put peanut butter on his French toast.  I thought he was insane.  I was a French toast "purist" and believed that simple French toast could never be improved upon; it was perfect just the way it was!  Fast forward years and years (and maybe even a few more years) later, and I finally tried a classic stuffed French toast (the kind with cream cheese).  I thought I would hate it, but it was actually quite good.  Then one day I remembered my hubby's love of peanut butter smeared on French toast.  That's when I came up with the peanut butter stuffed French toast.  In this version I use banana, but it's good with other fruits as well.
 
Ingredients:
  • 2 slices Texas toast (or other thick bread)
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/8 cup milk
  • 1/2 tablespoon syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Pan Insert to Use: Base Unit

Servings: 1

Directions:
1. Preheat grill. If using the Xpress Platinum, preheat at setting 2.
2. Spritz pan with non-stick spray.
3. Spread each piece of Texas toast with 1 tablespoon of the peanut butter.  Place banana slices on one of the pieces of bread.


4. Assemble "sandwich" and set aside.
5. Mix together egg, milk, syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl; dip "sandwich" into mixture and place in the grill.


6. Close lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned.  If your bread is too thin, you may need to flip and add another 3-4 minutes of cooking time.
7.  Serve with additional syrup.


Variations:
Instead of using banana, try this recipe with sliced strawberries or thin apple slices.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! This is the way the hubby likes it, but I LOOOVE it with very thinly sliced apples! :)

      Delete