Another kid-friendly favorite in our house! What's better than a grilled cheese? A pizza-inspired grilled cheese! Coating the outside of the sandwich in Parmesan cheese makes a delicious and flavorful crust that is reminiscent of Italian cuisine. We like to dip ours in an Italian (red) sauce like spaghetti sauce or marinara. This would probably be really good dipped in a hearty tomato soup as well. Try giving it more of a "pizza" flavor by sprinkling some Italian seasoning on the mozzarella cheese before cooking.
- 2 slices bread
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Italian (red) sauce, for dipping
1. Preheat grill. If using the Xpress Platinum, preheat at setting 2.
2. Spritz pan with non-stick spray.
3. Place 2 slices of mozzarella cheese between 2 slices of bread.
4. Brush outside of sandwich with olive oil and press into the shredded Parmesan to coat - do this with both sides of the sandwich.
6. Let cool slightly before eating - the cheese will be HOT!