Traditionally, this Italian dish is fried in oil, but this time we're grilling it up in our Redi-Set-Go. These little breaded balls of rice typically have cheese, vegetables, or meat at the center. This is a "lightened up" version of the fried original. I like to make these with brown rice, but I had a container of leftover white rice from the Chinese restaurant sitting in the fridge. I figured this was the perfect way to use it up! :)
- 2 cups cooked rice, white or brown
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3 light string cheese snacks
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
Pan Insert to Use: Mini Food Pan
Servings: 12 balls
1. Preheat grill. If using the Xpress Platinum, preheat at setting 2.
2. Spritz pan with non-stick spray.
3. Mix the cooked rice, Parmesan cheese, and eggs in a medium bowl.
4. Chop each string cheese into 4 pieces, totaling 12 pieces.
5. Roll rice into balls, placing a string cheese piece into the center. Roll ball tightly to about the size of a golf ball. Roll balls in panko to coat.
6. Place 6 of the balls into the mini food pan holes and close unit.
7. Cook for about 25 minutes and remove.
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 for remaining rice balls.
9. Serve with marinara, if desired.