Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sweet Cardamom Peanuts


A few years ago, I had a recipe that called for cardamom.  Off to the grocery store I went.  When I saw that it was the most expensive spice on the shelf, I thought, "Wow! This stuff must be awesome!"  I got home and immediately opened up my cardamom to smell and taste it.  I was not a fan.   I decided to follow through with the recipe anyways.  I was very pleasantly surprised!  The cardamom mingled wonderfully with the sweeter flavors in the recipe, and it became a flavor that I've grown rather fond of (particularly around holidays).  I hope you enjoy the cardamom in these peanuts as much as I do!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unsalted, dry roasted peanuts
  • 1 tablespoon salted butter
  • 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon cardamom

Pan Insert to Use:  Full Round Pan (or Base Unit)

Servings: 2-4

Directions:
1.  Turn on grill and melt butter in pan.
2.  When butter is melted, add 2 tablespoons of the sugar.  Cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly:


3.  Meanwhile, mix remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and cardamom together in a medium bowl.
4.  Add peanuts to bubbly sugar mixture in pan and cook for 2 minutes; stir.
5.  Cook an additional 2 minutes; stir.
6.  Cook again for 2 minutes; stir.  The total cooking time will now be about 6 minutes.
7.  Slide peanuts out of pan and into medium bowl with sugar/cardamom mixture; toss to coat.
8.  Spread on a piece of aluminum foil to cool:


9.  When cool, use a slotted spoon to remove peanuts and filter out the additional sugar/cardamom mixture:


10.  Reserve the sugar/cardamom mixture in an airtight container in the fridge.  Sprinkle it on ice cream or on buttered toast for a nice change of pace.
11.  Store peanuts in an airtight container.  Sprinkle in a yogurt/fruit parfait, or simply eat plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment